https://www.instagram.com/lesliedelacruz1/

Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Cripple of Inishmaan (イニシュマン島のビリー) Quotes

I am not a fan of this play and barely know about it but when after watching a clip of its Japanese version I found it interesting. I tried to search some quotes from the web but unable to find any. I found instead a script of it online, read it and wrote down the dialogues which I find funny or interesting.






I do not speak Japanese so I also do not understand this video.


EILEEN: If it makes him happy, sure, what harm? There are a hundred worse things to occupy a lad's time than cow watching. Things would land him up in hell. Not just late for his tea.
***
BILLY: And don't call me Cripple Billy, you. 
JOHNNY: For why? Isn't your name Billy and aren't you a cripple? 
BILLY: Well do I go calling you "Johnnypateenmike with the news that's so boring it'd bore the head off a dead bee"? 
JOHNNY: ...will make film stars of whosoever should be chose to take part in it and will take them back to Hollywood then and be giving them a life free of work, or anyways only acting work which couldn't be called work at all, it's only talking-johnny 
***
KATE: You're not thinking about your poor mammy and daddy again, are ya? 
BILLY: No, now. I'm just thinking about general things for meself, now. 
EILEEN: Is he off again? 
KATE: (Sighing) He is. 
EILEEN: Off thinking? 
KATE: That lad'll never be told. 
EILEEN: The doctor didn't look at your head when he looked at your chest did he, Billy? 
BILLY: (Blankly) No. 
EILEEN: I think that's the next thing to go checking out is his head. 
***
BARTLEY: (Pause) Do ya have any Mintios?
EILEEN: We have only what you see, Bartley McCormick 
***
HELEN: Are you fecking coming, you, fecker?! 
BARTLEY: I'm picking me sweeties. 
HELEN: Oh you and your fecking sweeties! 
***
EILEEN: Lasses
HELEN: Are you entering the egg-debate or are you buying your fecking sweeties, you? 
***
HELEN: You, are you picking or are you talking? 
BARTLEY: I'm picking and talking. 
HELEN: You'll be picking, talking and having your bollocks kicked for ya if ya back-talk me again, ya feck. BARTLEY: Oh aye. 
***
HELEN: They only took him in when Billy's mam and dad went and drowned themselves, when they found out Billy was born a cripple-boy. 
BILLY: They didn't go and drowned themselves. 
HELEN: Oh aye, aye . . . 
BILLY: They only fell o'erboard in roughseas. 
HELEN: Uh-huh. What were they doing sailing in rough seas, so, and wasn't it at night-time too? au.
BILLY: Trying to get to America be the mainland they were. 
HELEN: No, trying to get away from you they were, be distance or be death, it made no differ to them. BILLY: Well how the hell would you know when you were just a babby at the time, the same as me? 
***
BARTLEY: They do have a great array of telescopes in America now, d'know? You can see a worm a mile away. 
HELEN: Why would you want to see a worm a mile away? 
BARTLEY: To see what he was up to. 
HELEN: What do worms usually be up to? 
BARTLEY: Wriggling. 
***
HELEN: They loved you? Would you love you if you weren't you? You barely love you and you are you. 
***
BARTLEY: ( Winded) At least Cripple Billy doesn't punch poor lads' ribs for them. 
BILLY: I am too scared. 
HELEN: What a big sissy-arse, eh, Bartley? 
***
BARTLEY: Sure anybody with a brain is at least a biteen afraid of the sea. 
***
BILLY: Ah I was only thinking aloud, sure. 
EILEEN: Well stop thinking aloud! Stop thinking aloud and stop thinking quiet! There's too much oul thinking done in this house with you around. Did you ever see the Virgin Mary going thinking aloud? 
BILLY: I didn't. 
EILEEN: Is right, you didn't. And it didn't do her any harm! E . . 
***
DOCTOR: Johnnypateenmike, don't you know well not to go feeding a ninety-year-old woman whiskey for breakfast? 
JOHNNY: Ah she likes it, and doesn't it shut her up? 
MAMMY: I do like a drop of whiskey, me, I do. 
JOHNNY: From the horse's mouth. MAMMY: Although I do prefer poteen. 
DOCTOR: But you don't get given poteen? 
MAMMY: I don't get given poteen, no. 
JOHNNY: Now. 
MAMMY: Only on special occasions. 
DOCTOR: And what qualifies as a special occasion? 
MAMMY: A Friday, a Saturday or a Sunday. 
DOCTOR: When your mammy's dead and gone,Johnnypateen, I'm going to cut out her liver and show it to you, the damage your fine care has done. 
***
DOCTOR: (Pause) Did you ever hear of a thing called doctorpatient confidentiality, Johnnypateenmike? JoHNNY: I did, and I think it's a great thing. Now tell me what's wrong with Cripple Billy, Doctor. DOCTOR: I'm going to open up that head of yours one day, Johnnypateen, and find nothing inside it at all. 
***
EILEEN: Do you ever look on the optimistic side, you?
***
KATE: (Pause) I think Billy's in love with Helen on top of it. En.
EILEEN: I think Billy's in love with Helen. It'll all end in tears. 
KATE: Tears or death slightly throughout. 
***
BILLY: Mam? I fear I'm not longer for this world, Mam. Can't I hear the wail of the banshees for me, as far as I am from me barren island home? A home barren, aye, but proud and generous with it, yet turned me back on ye I did, to end up alone and dying in a one-dollar rooming-house, without a mother to wipe the cold sweat off me, nor a father to curse God o'er the death of me, nor a colleen fair to weep tears o'er the still body of me. A body still, aye, but a body noble and unbowed with it. An Irishman! (Pause)Just an Irishman. With a decent heart on him, and a decent head on him, and a decent spirit not broken by a century's hunger and a lifetime's oppression!(Coughing) but a body broken, and the lungs of him broken, and, if truth be told, the heart of him broken too, be a lass who never knew his true feelings, and now, sure, never will. What's this, Mammy, now, that you're saying to me? He looks at a sheet of paper on the table. Be writing home to her, I know, and make me feelings known. Ah, 'tis late, Mammy. Won't tomorrow be soon enough for that task? 
***
 BILLY: You shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortunes, Bartley 
***
BILLY: Hours I practised in me hotel there. And all for nothing. (Pause) I gave it a go anyways. I had to give it a go. I had to get away from this place, Babbybobby, be any means, just like me mammy and daddy had to get away from this place. (Pause) Going drowning meself I'd often think of when I was here, just to . . . just to end the laughing at me, and the sniping at me, and the life of nothing but shuffling to the doctor's and shuffling back from the doctor's and pawing over the same oul books and finding any other way to piss another day away. Another day of sniggering, or the patting me on the head like a broken-brained gosawer. The village orphan. The village cripple, and nothing more. Well, there are plenty round here just as crippled as me, only it isn't on the outside it shows. Well, there are plenty round here just as crippled as me, only it isn't on the outside it shows. 
***
BILLY: Aunties, I think the doctor might be wanting a mug of tea, would ye's both go and get him one? EILEEN: Is getting rid of us you're after? If it is, just say so. 
BILLY: It's getting rid of ye I'm after. 
Eileen stares at him a moment then moodily exits to the back room. 
DOCTOR: You shouldn't talk to her like that, now, Billy. BILLY: Ah they keep going on and on. 
DOCTOR: I know they do but they're women. 
BILLY: I suppose. 
***
BILLY: I was trying to build up to . . . There comes a time in every fella's life when he has to take his heart in his hands and make a try for something, and even though knows it's a one in a million chance of him getting it, he has to chance it still, else why be alive at all? 
***
KATE: I wasn't listening or alright I was a biteen listening. (Pause) You wait for a nice girl to come along, Billy. A girl who doesn't mind at all what you look like. Just sees your heart. 
BILLY: How long will I be waiting for a girl like that to come along, Aunty? 
KATE: Ah not long at all, Billy. Maybe a year or two. Or at the outside five.


0 comments:

Post a Comment