https://www.instagram.com/lesliedelacruz1/

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Love Is Better than Wine

I like this poems from Songs of Solomon.

Love Is Better than Wine

1 This is Solomon’s
    most beautiful song.
She Speaks:
2 Kiss me tenderly!
Your love is better than wine,
3     and you smell so sweet.
All the young women adore you;
the very mention of your name
    is like spreading perfume.
4 Hurry, my king! Let’s hurry.
5     Take me to your home.
The Young Women Speak:
We are happy for you!
And we praise your love
    even more than wine.
She Speaks:
Young women of Jerusalem,
it is only right
    that you should adore him.
My skin is dark and beautiful,
like a tent in the desert
    or like Solomon’s curtains.
6 Don’t stare at me
just because the sun
    has darkened my skin.
My brothers were angry with me;
they made me work in the vineyard,
    and so I neglected
    my complexion.
Don’t let the other shepherds
    think badly of me.[a]
7 I’m not one of those women
who shamelessly follow
    after shepherds.[b]
My darling, I love you!
Where do you feed your sheep
    and let them rest at noon?
He Speaks:
8 My dearest, if you don’t know,
just follow the path
    of the sheep.
Then feed your young goats
    near the shepherds' tents.
9 You move as gracefully
as the pony
that leads
    the chariot of the king.
10 Earrings add to your beauty,
and you wear a necklace
    of precious stones.
11 Let’s make you some jewelry
    of gold,
woven with silver.
She Speaks:
12 My king, while you
were on your couch,
    my love was a magic charm.[c]
13 My darling, you are perfume
    between my breasts;
14 you are flower blossoms
    from the gardens of En-Gedi.[d]
He Speaks:
15 My darling, you are lovely,
so very lovely—
    your eyes are those of a dove.
She Speaks:
16 My love, you are handsome,
    truly handsome—
the fresh green grass
    will be our wedding bed
17 in the shade of cedar
    and cypress trees.

Love Makes Everything Beautiful

She Speaks:
2 I am merely a rose[a]
from the land of Sharon,
    a lily from the valley.
He Speaks:
2 My darling, when compared
with other young women,
    you are a lily among thorns.
She Speaks:
3 And you, my love,
are an apple tree
    among trees of the forest.
Your shade brought me pleasure;
    your fruit was sweet.
4 You led me to your banquet room
    and showered me with love.
5 Refresh and strengthen me
with raisins and apples.
    I am hungry for love!
6 Put your left hand under my head
and embrace me
    with your right arm.
7 Young women of Jerusalem,
promise me by the power
    of deer and gazelles[b]
never to awaken love
    before it is ready.

Winter Is Past

She Speaks:
8 I hear the voice
    of the one I love,
as he comes leaping
over mountains and hills
9     like a deer or a gazelle.
Now he stands outside our wall,
looking through the window
10     and speaking to me.
He Speaks:
My darling, I love you!
    Let’s go away together.
11 Winter is past,
    the rain has stopped;
12 flowers cover the earth,
    it’s time to sing.[c]
The cooing of doves
    is heard in our land.
13 Fig trees are bearing fruit,
while blossoms on grapevines
    fill the air with perfume.
My darling, I love you!
    Let’s go away together.
14 You are my dove
hiding among the rocks
    on the side of a cliff.
Let me see how lovely you are!
Let me hear the sound
    of your melodious voice.
15 Our vineyards are in blossom;
we must catch the little foxes
    that destroy the vineyards.[d]
She Speaks:
16 My darling, I am yours,
    and you are mine,
as you feed your sheep
    among the lilies.
17 Pretend to be a young deer
dancing on mountain slopes[e]
    until daylight comes
    and shadows fade away.


And this is my favorite verse:

Young women of Jerusalem,
promise me by the power
    of deer and gazelles[b]
never to awaken love
    before it is ready.

0 comments:

Post a Comment